Monday, 16 February 2015

Latex

I have experimented using latex as a tool to change the materiality of my swatches. On a chunky knit it blurs the pattern and just a plastic like film over the top, whereas on a thin lacey knit, it becomes like a sheet of plastic, filling in all the holes that were there before, changing the materiality. I then continued with the idea of only partially trapping the knit. I created a fine gauge knit which I then began to unravel and then poured latex over half of it, stopping it from unravelling further. 

I have been looking at fashion knitwear, designer Lucy Simpson who uses latex in her work, creating pattern, layers and taking a very experimental approach to mark making, which I can identify with. Taking inspiration from her I have tried to create new surfaces using the latex, such as creating a mould of bubble wrap, which I can hook onto the domestic machine and knit off of.  



No comments:

Post a Comment