I
have been looking at the work of fashion designer duo Leutton Postle, whose
mixed media approach fits well with my work on this project. Their approach
appears instinctive, sometimes appearing slightly random which echoes the feel
of the Turkish decorative ceremonial tabards that I originally looked at. They
were decorated with an array of materials using different techniques, and the
work of Leutton Postle seems to echo that. They use unusual and contrasting materials
such as plastic, ribbon and cable ties, constructing them in such a way so as
to create sculptural, often layered fabrications. This is an interesting
concept, which I would like to emulate in my own work.
I have also looked at the work of Amy Boone McCreesh, who creates collage pieces using a variety of different papers. I have used collage in my sketchbook as a way of generating ideas as it allows me to experiment with colour and texture in a more hands on way, more similar to knit. I think I can take inspiration from her compositional arrangements and her bold use of colour and layering. I feel that I respond better to when manipulating paper, fabric and materials rather than just working in a flat, one dimensional way.
I have also looked at the work of Amy Boone McCreesh, who creates collage pieces using a variety of different papers. I have used collage in my sketchbook as a way of generating ideas as it allows me to experiment with colour and texture in a more hands on way, more similar to knit. I think I can take inspiration from her compositional arrangements and her bold use of colour and layering. I feel that I respond better to when manipulating paper, fabric and materials rather than just working in a flat, one dimensional way.


No comments:
Post a Comment