Following
my visits to the various archives, one theme which appealed to me folk
textiles. The bright colours and embroidery reminded me of the Turkish textiles
I looked at last week. I also went to the Tate's Folk Art exhibition during the
Summer, and had found it very inspiring. I particularly liked the approach of
using whatever materials you had available to create something. One particular sculpture
was made by a prisoner out of the scrap bits of bone he had left over from his
meals. I have since looked at further folk textiles, including some I bought
when in Istanbul and I have drawn them using different medias and also used
different objects to draw with, extending the idea of decoration by using
decorative objects to draw with: beads, buttons, spools etc.
This mark making echoed the circular imagery of the Turkish Mosques and
architecture that I had also been looking at which in turn influenced my knits
in that I wanted to experiment with created knits in a different form and the
use of circles was a theme that I pursued.


No comments:
Post a Comment